BBC Radio 4: A History of the Infinite

• 9 replies
« on: February 03, 2018, 03:11:48 PM »
This is my current doing-chores show. Episodes are under 15 minutes each, so perfect for folding laundry/doing dishes/making the bed.

I just finished episode 3. It seems like a decent overview of the topic. (BBC shows are usually pretty good.) I think it might have been Baccus who recommended this show to me; have any of you guys listened?

Update:
Finished this series. Would not recommend.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:50:40 AM by frankiesaxx »

Re: BBC Radio 4: A History of the Infinite
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 03:18:03 PM »
I've listened to this series. I enjoyed it.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
I'm on episode 4. I'm reminded that some of Descartes' assumptions were... questionable. lol

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 01:29:51 PM »

First half hour is on Georg Cantor and his work on infinity. A really excellent, and beautiful, documentary.

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 10:56:52 PM »
Cantor is interesting. I ended up not caring for the BBC series in the OP. I wouldn't recommend it.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 12:01:43 AM »
I think maybe I enjoyed it as far as I did because I'd been interested in the infinite/Cantor for a while before and my ears were listening for related info.

Or maybe it was good oricrastinating material XD

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:45 AM »
I think maybe I enjoyed it as far as I did because I'd been interested in the infinite/Cantor for a while before and my ears were listening for related info.

They only really mentioned Cantor in one episode. I thought it went downhill after that, and the conclusion made me vomit in my mouth a little. It would have been interesting if they could have stuck to the topic and left out the condescending new age mumbo jumbo which made it seem like they thought their target audience was stupid or ignorant. It's like if you pushed your Barbie's talk button and she said "Math is hard, let's do spirituality!"

People also need to stop acting like everything Descartes said is some kind of brilliant truth. He has his time and place, much of which is 17th century France. (We don't cite Aristotle's opinions on slaves and women as some kind of profound truth, and we can give up quoting some of Descartes silly opinions as well.)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 11:51:45 AM by frankiesaxx »

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
They only really mentioned Cantor in one episode. I thought it went downhill after that, and the conclusion made me vomit in my mouth a little. It would have been interesting if they could have stuck to the topic and left out the condescending new age mumbo jumbo which made it seem like they thought their target audience was stupid or ignorant. It's like if you pushed your Barbie's talk button and she said "Math is hard, let's do spirituality

I can't remember any of that tbh. o.O

Been quite a while since I heard it.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »

People also need to stop acting like everything Descartes said is some kind of brilliant truth. He has his time and place, much of which is 17th century France. (We don't cite Aristotle's opinions on slaves and women as some kind of profound truth, and we can give up quoting some of Descartes silly opinions as well.)

Can you remember which episode that was? I might refresh my memory a bit on that.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:00:59 PM »

Can you remember which episode that was? I might refresh my memory a bit on that.

They mentioned Descartes in multiple episodes.