Forum goes offline April 2nd

• 7 replies
Forum goes offline April 2nd
« on: March 22, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »
Hi guys!

So I've been thinking a lot about whether to keep the forum up. On the one hand, I really like the idea of it being here. It doesn't get a lot of traffic, but I don't mind it just sitting here not being especially busy.

But now with the GDPR coming up, there's a lot of confusion about who it applies to. Like I can't even figure out if it would apply to the Ninjatoaster forum, as a non-commercial, hobby forum, and even the people who wrote the legislation don't know. And also, what specifically would have to be done to comply if it does apply. Like if a user leaves, is it enough to delete their account? What about backups and server logs? What about a user's old posts, and if a thread is a collaborative work, does that infringe on the right of other participants to have their data preserved from loss, etc. etc. I feel like the headache of sorting it out probably isn't worthwhile for the amount of use the forum currently has.

Because it really isn't busy, I feel like I have the luxury of putting the idea on ice and maybe revisiting it after the dust around the GDPR settles and I know what I would have to do. (If it's desperately, desperately important to you that it stays, let me know before April and I'll see if I can sort it out somehow.) Otherwise, maybe later?

The ##ninjatoaster chat room on Freenode will continue to exist.

I'll be sending an email too, in case anyone has posts they want to save before the forum goes offline.

Re: Forum goes offline April 2nd
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
Oh, this is a shame, even though I have barely contributed.

You could ask LJ about GDPR, it's her job and everything, I have asked her several questions about it. But I don't run a forum, so that's easy for me to say.

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 03:48:09 PM »
Oh, this is a shame, even though I have barely contributed.

You could ask LJ about GDPR, it's her job and everything, I have asked her several questions about it. But I don't run a forum, so that's easy for me to say.

I might do that. I've been reading a lot of admin information and forum forums, and nobody seems to really know how much it even applies to noncommercial, hobby-type sites for personal/friend groups. One discussion even had a guy who worked on the legislation participating and he couldn't answer that, so... *throws hands in air*

I will definitely revisit the idea after the whole GDPR dust settles and I have a better idea. Like some parts are easy (clear TOS and privacy policies, be upfront about what data is collected and how it's used, people have to consent, and so on) but other parts, especially dealing with publicly posted user-generated content aren't so obvious.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 03:58:34 PM by frankiesaxx »

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »
Thanks for letting us know, Frankie x.

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:57:54 PM »
And just to add it was good to have you here and that things have been a bit shit of late which is why I've not been more communicative.

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 02:26:52 AM »
Ketel One?

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 09:27:36 AM »

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »
I'm postponing the imminent demise for a bit, since I'm working on my Nano project and don't really feel like messing around with web stuff.